From social media giveaways, to giveback grant programs, or scholarships to for your services or online course – a giveaway is a great way to spread the word!
After selecting the lucky winner, you will want to send them an Affidavit. What is an Affidavit? An affidavit is a legal document that contains a written statement promising certain facts are true.. When it comes to sweepstakes (the catch all legal reference saying the winner is selected by chance), those facts are usually the potential winner was eligible to enter and complied with all the rules and to provide information, including their name, age, and social security number.
Why the social security number? Per the IRS your winner will need to give their social security number to claim any legitimate prize worth more than $600 though we suggest you use them for prizes worth less than $600 as well.
The Official Rules help set the stage to directly communicate expectations to any and all giveaway participants. This is so vital for any type of giveaway so that your participants know exactly what they’re getting into – and what they’ll win!
Any caveats or extra requirements will be listed in the Official Rules, including who is eligible, how to enter, when + how the winner will be announced, first-serve situation, etc. Everything is detailed in these rules, so get ready to legally align your giveaway!
3 Easy Steps to be Legally Aligned:
- Access your legal vault, the home of your contract template purchase (plus any of its updates).
- Watch the video tutorial and fill out your contract template in minutes, while gaining the understanding of what it all means. Because with knowledge comes confidence.
- Use the step-by-step checklist in our implementation guide. You’ll never have to wonder if you filled out the contract template correctly or second guess what’s next as you implement the contract seamlessly into your business.
Stay in the know. Whenever there are updates to a contract template you have purchased, you will get an email and have instant access via your legal vault.
Everything we described above, plus…
- Swipe copy to promote your giveaway.
- Eligibility requirements, so they know how to throw their name in the virtual hat, including if they are selected they will have to complete the Giveaway Affidavit.
- Publicity waiver so you can share the impact you’re making with the world.
- Disclaimers and waiver and release of liability, so you set the tone from the start. Their actions, their responsibility.